Military Academy Nominations
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. For more information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Unfortunately, Congresswoman Sánchez is unable to nominate candidates who reside outside of the 38th congressional district.
Students should confirm they reside in California's 38th congressional district before applying. To find out whether you live in the district, please visit FIND YOUR REPRESENTATIVE and enter your zip code. If your zip code overlaps with multiple congressional districts, please searching using your home address.
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE BY OCTOBER 30, 2020. (must be postmarked by this date)
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies:
- U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY
- U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD
- U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Congresswoman Sánchez may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to the district. In order to receive a nomination, interested participants must complete an application with their respective academy of choice and complete the U.S. Service Academy Congressional Nomination Application.
A completed application requires the following items:
- Personal information
- Personal commentary, including a 500-word essay about yourself, your goals, and reasons you would like to attend a service academy.
- Two teacher recommendations: Use the recommendation forms included in the application. Teachers should complete the forms, seal in envelopes, and return the forms to the student OR mail to 12440 E. Imperial Hwy., Ste.140 Norwalk, CA 90650 Attn: Jonathan Cordova. The forms must arrive with the application package. Separate letters of recommendation are NOT required.
- Interview Request Form
- Official High School Transcripts. The transcripts must arrive with the application in a SEALED envelope. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted.
- Official SAT and/or ACT scores. Applicants may contact College Board at (609) 771-7600 or visit https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/scores/sending-scores to request that scores be sent directly to Congresswoman Sánchez’s office. For College Board, use code number: 4158. For ACT, use code number: 7277.
- A recent wallet-sized photograph of the applicant.
For any additional questions, please email Jonathan Cordova, Service Academy Coordinator, or call the office at (562) 860-5050.