Congresswoman Sánchez Reminds Constituents to Get Their Federal Rebate Check Many Seniors and Veterans have not filed to receive up to $600; Must File Taxes by October 15th

October 6, 2008
Press Release

Whittier, CA -- Congresswoman Linda Sánchez held a free Tax Preparation Workshop today at the Uptown Whittier Senior Center to help those who haven’t received their federal rebate check to file their 2007 tax returns.

Earlier this year, Congress passed an economic stimulus package that places money back into the pockets of Americans by providing individuals and families with a tax rebate. Currently, there are approximately 500,000 Californians who are still owed these stimulus checks, which can be worth up to $600 -- or even more for those with qualifying dependents.  In order to receive these payments, all those eligible must file a 2007 tax return by October 15th -- even if they do not owe any taxes.

“At a time when families are struggling to make ends meet, it is unfortunate that 500,000 Californians have free money out there that they have not claimed,” said Congresswoman Sánchez.  “I want to make sure that everyone who is eligible for a rebate check receives one.”

In Whittier alone, 2,617 eligible seniors and veterans have not yet filed a return to obtain a stimulus check. Los Angeles County was listed by the IRS as one of the top 100 counties nationwide with unclaimed payments of almost 134,000 unclaimed payments representing a value of over $40 million.

“The process is simple. Just fill out the form and send it in before October 15,” Sánchez continued. “If you’re having trouble, please call my office and we can put you in touch with people at the IRS to help you.”

Those who normally file tax returns and have already done so do not need to do anything further. However, many veterans and seniors who are not required to file taxes may not realize they are eligible for these benefits.  Many earn enough to qualify to receive a stimulus check but not enough to require they file their taxes annually. In order to receive these payments, they must file a 2007 tax return regardless of the fact that many do not owe taxes.

More information is available at the following websites or by calling 1-866-234-2942:
National Council on Aging: